Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trek 2008










Here is the proof that I went on Trek. Would you believe this is not my first time going? Yes, that is me camping, yet again. For any of you who really know me, you know this is a huge deal. Need I mention the fact that this is REAL camping. The whole, sleeping in tents (no campers), no running water (just a pump), washing out of a bucket, needing to zip up the tents each day so rattlesnakes don't decide to cuddle up and wait for my return. They do like snuggling up in warm places. Do you see the mouse on the tarp, his attempts to get into the tent were thwarted and he managed to slide underneath. I wonder if he was sleeping when he was flattened or if he was trying to escape. Who knows, I'm just glad he wasn't trying to get cozy in my sleeping bag. Hey there dad, look at me doing the things you tried to get us girls to do when we were younger, and I even did it without a large 5th wheel camper. You would be so proud, I didn't shower for 3 days!
Even though I complain about camping and all that goes with it, I do have to admit that this is an amazing experience. Brendan and I went 2 years ago with our Stake in Murray. When we got home from that I said I loved it and I was glad that I went, however, I never wanted to do it again. Little did I know we would be asked to go again when we moved to Pleasant View.
Even though we went to the same place and did the same things, it was a totally different experience. Both experiences were awesome and I can see now that I needed both of them. It just goes to show that there is always room for spiritual growth and always a need to gain appreciation for what we have. I love the gospel, I love what the early pioneers did for us, I love what people are doing now for the work of the Lord. I am grateful for my home, my kids, my husband, my family, and most importantly, my knowledge of who I am and where I come from.
I can not imagine one day meeting the people whom I have walked for on these Treks and having to tell them that I couldn't make it because it was just too hard. Their legacy will always be something I can pull from in times I feel I am pushing my own handcart through unknown territory, in harsh conditions. I am grateful to them, and how I can return the favor is by living right.
Now that being said, I sure hope I learned all I needed to learn, so I can really say that I never have to do that again. However, if I am asked to go again, I will do it, and be excited and grateful for the opportunity.

2 comments:

Shane, Tori, Konner, Brylee, and Halle said...

You are the woman! That is all I can say!

Marli's Clan said...

Tori, I need your e-mail please. mine is marligreen1@gmail.com
love ya